Engagement Photography Sessions – What to Wear & Where to Shoot
For your engagement session wear clothes that match your style and personality, that feel like you and that you feel great in.
You are welcome to bring two to three outfits for each of you. One set can be casual and the other more dressy. Choose clothes and accessories that you feel confident in and that flatter you.
Your engagement session can be a great time to do a trial run with your makeup artist before your wedding day. Having your makeup professionally done for your session can help boost your confidence and will definitely make you “pop” in your photos. Be sure to communicate your desired “makeup style” clearly to your artist so that he or she is able to create a look for you that compliments your features, but that keeps you looking like you.
If either of you are planning to wear shoes that are high in style but low in comfort… you might want to consider packing an extra pair with you to wear to and from the car.
Depending on the location you choose for your session there may not be a wide selection of places in which to change your outfit, so keep that in mind when choosing what you’ll wear… and what you’ll wear first. There are no rules as to whether you wear your casual or your dressy outfit first… that’s entirely up to you!
Where we shoot is also up to you. I am available to make suggestions if you’re having trouble deciding. My experience has taught me that selecting locations or activities that are meaningful and important to my couples always results in better images. I would suggest going through my blog because I have photograph a bunch of locations in the Milwaukee, WI area and surrounding.
Interested in a destination session? Let’s go! I love to travel and can work with you to make just about any location work for an engagement session.
Engagement Style Tips for the Milwaukee Bride
- Be you. Choose clothing and accessories that represent your style and that you feel great in.
- Be comfortable. Select clothing that fits well and that compliments your figure.
- Try to avoid clothing with logos… otherwise you run the risk of looking like an ad for your favorite retailer.
- Try to avoid being “matchy matchy”. Instead, try to coordinate your outfit selections.
- Select outfits that compliment each other in color, style and level of formality.
- Don’t be afraid to bring a couple of different outfits. Most couples bring one casual outfit and one formal one!
- Layers and texture translates great on camera! So don’t be afraid to layer jewelry, scarves, sweaters, jackets or any combination in order to create depth in your outfits.
- Don’t forget the details! Accessories, nails, shoes. The level of care on even the little things can add up! A fresh manicure, polished shoes and even the simplest earrings can create a more polished and styled look.
- Brides… consider having your hair and makeup done for your session. Having a professional hair and/or makeup stylist prep you for your session will help to add a little glamour to your photos even if you’ve selected casual apparel for your session.
- Don’t Stress!! Engagement photos should be fun… and they will be if you let yourself enjoy the experience! You might even consider having a date night after your session so you can enjoy an evening together celebrating your engagement!